Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 8 - The prestigious Cave Cadet badge

Before I left Zion I had to take another hike - this place is gorgeous! I headed up to Emerald Lake after a huge breakfast and the walk felt great. It was a dry winter so there wasn't much of a lake to be seen but I took a picture from behind the waterfall, meager though it may be. Then it was off to Nevada! After all these days in the mountains getting back out into the open plains was something. Long roads as straight as an arrow for 20+ miles at a time. I stopped in Minersville to get gas and water and there I met Mike and Michelle (see below). Mike told me he used to live in Decatur GA but it was crime ridden and so he had to get out. I told him it was one of the hottest parts of Atlanta these days and he was surprised. He wanted to talk a while so I did but then i had to head west like a young man. I headed across the state line and on into Grand Basin National Park. My first stop was Lehman Caves - a million+ year old cave system discovered by Mr Absolom Lehman in the 1880's. Unfortunately he used to invite people into his cave for parties, tourists, etc and had a "you break it you take it" attitude so there is a lot of damage. But there are still many really cool stalactites and stalagmites and other neat underground pools, shields and caves (see below). I was asked to be "Ranger Ralph" and hold up the rear of the tour which I gladly did and is how I earned the Cave Cadet award (see a picture of the ceremony below).
A very quiet day today as I was (and still am) out of cell phone and internet service range almost the entire timel. It can be a bit lonely when its like that but that is not necessarily a bad thing. A big part of this trip is just to enjoy my company and that I am! I am camping again tonight (3rd night out of 8) and I am lying down on my sleeping bag in my tent as I write this. A couple if deer stop by right outside my tent to make sure i am doing well (see picture below). Nice deer. The bears and mountain lions can stay away though, thank you. It is so quiet again my ears are ringing. The sky is supposed to get really dark here so the stars will really be bright. I am looking forward to it! PS - I don't know how to put the pictures in order, it just sorts them randomly. Sorry. PSS - Thanks to all of you - I now have 9 people who want postcards. Excellent! The more the merrier! Just email me at ralphcurt@gmail.com to get on the list!

ODO - 1211 to

No comments:

Post a Comment