Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 11 - Crater Lake, Oregon

So I woke up, packed up and then headed for the showers but the showers were 5 quarters for 3 minutes of water! Ha! 2 other people there gave me a hint - "Go all hot water - forget the cold!" So I got some quarters, prepared myself with soap, shampoo, quarters, towel, and everything I needed so I could take full advantage of my 3 minutes. Go! By the time the 5th quarter hit the bottom of the machine I was already scrubbing away! I did as instructed and used all hot water and 3 minutes was actually fine. And so started my day. I got a cup of hot coffee (oh man was it good!), wrote some postcards and was getting ready to leave when this beautiful blue bird flew right up within a foot of me and just looked at me. Good morning! I grabbed another cup of coffee and then hit the road. A missed right turn meant I had to spend an hour on an interstate (boo) but I did make it to Crater Lake by 5 pm. When you come around the corner and see the lake for the first time .... Wow! I went up to the lodge, sat on a rocking chair on their huge porch overlooking the lake and had a beer! Heaven! Best beer i have had in a long, long time. Unfortunately the lodge was sold out so it is back in the tent which is fine. Tomorrow I plan to explore the lake and some nearby caves. Not sure if I will stay or head to the coast but i loved the warning sign on the way up here (see picture).

No comments:

Post a Comment