Monday, July 16, 2012

Day 16 - A grateful citizen heads for Canada

Tomorrow I cross into Canada - almost as unnerving as going outside the perimeter (OTP) in Atlanta, but not quite. It feels as though everything up to this point has been a warm-up, well except the tendon thing. Now the work really begins as I head 1,500 miles due north and then trek back south into the USA through Montana. The reality is if my bike tips over I can't pick it up. If something goes wrong with my bike, anything, I am stuck out in the ice tundra all by myself. It's me and the polar bears fighting it out to determine who gets to survive! OK, a little drama there but hey, a little whistling in the dark is good for the nerves. I'll have to see if I can wrestle up a picture of me fighting a polar bear. Anyway, if it wasn't for the satellite phone in my pocket (I'm not that brave!) it would be me versus nature, just like Jim! The truth of the matter is though that I am ready. As a friend of mine says - bring it!!! Doing things differently is always scary - it is easier to stay in the familiar, even if you know it is wrong, than it is to go into the unknown, even if you know it is right. So naturally i am nervous - unknown here I come! So my last day in Washington has been cold, windy, damp and perfect. I talked to a friend of mine who celebrated a major milestone in his life today (again, I am so proud of you!!) and as I was talking to him I was standing on a cliff aside the pacific coast looking at a solitary tree standing guard over the shore. After I hung up with him I stood there admiring the landscape and I fell in love with life all over again. Friends making progress in their lives, beauty being revealed all around us, love blooming in some friends hearts and souls and in full bloom in yet others, opportunities unveiling themselves, chances to change everything being offered... I could go on and on. I just have to look back at this blog and see how tremendously blessed I have been. I read a poem from a mother to her daughter that B L E W me away. This harsh, cold weather may be a tough environment but it sure does feel warm inside around here. So bring Canada, bring Alaska, bring Skagway and ice heaves and polar bears and experiences I have no idea what is about to unfold. But I get it - it's Round 2. I have let go of the sail! Let's see what the wind brings next...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a great time.
    You are missed back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I posted a comment yesterday but I don't see it today, so let me try to recreate it and hope it's not double posted somehow) . . . Ralph, it's great seeing the world through your eyes! Tip: Polar bears liked to be scratched HARD behind the ears, so just grab the step ladder you packed to reach the animal's sweet spot. Once it's turned docile, you can picnic with it. O Canada! Hope you're having a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete