Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 7 - Ed Campbell and Pumpkin his chicken

I made an early start today and saw the beautiful moon still sitting in the morning sky (see pic below). I love the moon - it means so many different things to so many people, me included. A great way to start the day. My first stop was Bryce National Park, an amazing landscape that single handedly can prove how old our planet really is with its millions of sandstone fins! I enjoyed my first cup of coffee looking over this amazing park. I then headed west to Zion National Park, a short 60 miles away. I got caught in the rain again and saw this huge tree hanging over the road, perfect for hiding under and putting on my rain gear. No sooner had I pulled over than a car pulls up in front of me and out steps Mr. Ed Campbell. "Get caught in the rain did you?" he yells so I can hear him over the rain. "Yes Sir!" I reply with a smile on my face. Something tells me I am in for another experience here! Ed then introduces himself to me and tells me he owns the tree and the adjacent land and that he sees motorcyclists pulling up under his tree all the time trying to get out of the sun or the rain. I thank him kindly for the use of his tree and then notice all the chickens in his front yard. Never one to miss a chance to take a picture of a chicken (who would?), I ask him if I may take a few pictures of them and of him. Without a moments hesitation Ed heads into his yard and invites me to tag along. It soon becomes obvious that he is searching for one particular bird. Suddenly he stands up with this big white chicken in his arms and proclaims "This is Pumpkin, my favorite chicken!" Snap! I got my favorite picture of the day (see below)! I love it! God bless you Ed Campbell and your chicken too. I am now in Zion National Park, staying in a hotel for the first time in 3 days. I have to let the pictures tell the story as I am out of superlatives. I walked through the canyon narrows having to wade through the Virgin River to get there. Trees grow out of the cliffs here fed by water from the aquifer that seeps out through the rock. And tunnels big and small burrowed through the red rock (see a very small one below) look so cool to me. I tell you, I don't know much about Salt Lake City but this is one beautiful state. I will have fine memories of Utah as I head into Nevada tomorrow.

1 comment: