Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 27 - The Canadian Rockies are stunning

It is about a leisurely 4 hour drive from Jasper to Banff, all within this huge National Park, almost all on 2 lane roads and almost all completely amazingly beautiful Canada. Having grown up in Europe I have always thought nothing could top the Alps but these mountains are close. Giant rock formations jutting straight up into the air with nary an ounce of soil so nothing can grow. Glaciers and ice sheets and gondolas and snow melting to bring crystal clear blue green rivers down the sides of the mountains and turn into powerful waterfalls and beautiful lakes. And they are everywhere!! No way pictures could ever capture this place. Amazing. I also like the international feel here too. Tourists like me from Europe, Africa, Asia, all over the USA and Canada. And the locals seem to actually appreciate the fact that we are here visiting! It feels like one big travelers convention or something. And Bikers - we are everywhere! Even nerdy BMW riders who are comparing sprocket sizes, gear ratios and idling RPM speeds are friendly enough. It's fun to talk with strangers, watch people having a good time and enjoying my own company. I am really enjoying the lack of an agenda and the ability to go or skip anything I want. I am finding I am more interested in riding my bike, even after 3+ weeks and over 6,000 miles than I am most anything else. I LOVE seeing this beautiful land; doing this on a motorcycle was exactly the right move. I was rained on again today and while I was squinting and hiding behind the windshield I was laughing - I love it! Damn I am enjoying this trip.

ODO - 6179

No comments:

Post a Comment