Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Day 18 - Edith Piaf in Prince Rupert!

When I was getting ready to leave for this trip a number of you told me I would be having these great experiences that I would never forget. And the truth is I thought you were all a bit nuts - yes I would see some cool stuff but "life experiences"? Nahhh.. Well, that was before I met Colleen, the proprietress of the Pillsbury Guesthouse in Prince Rupert BC. Imagine this - I spent 15 hours on a ferry yesterday. When we land I ride to this guesthouse and get there around 11:30 pm, tired and ready for bed. But as I walk in, the house is set up like a scene from a Paris bistro in the mid forties and I experience one of the most bizarre scenes I have ever seen. I cannot describe it here as it would take too long but somewhere around midnight Colleen had me, Rick, a straight laced couple from Germany and a couple of Seattle type grungers sitting down in her living room watching her perform Edith Piaf tunes karaoke style as loud as she could to all of us, her audience. She was in heaven!! We were all exhausted but watching her sing and dance (and BTW, she is in her 70's) was a part of the price of admission. It was so crazy!!! It was like a scene out of the Twilight Zone. But I am telling you you could tell this is what she lived for - she was so happy to have an audience. Wow. I will not forget that one, that's for sure! And as for the ferry ride up here today, it was comfortable but long. We saw whales, eagles, dolphin, etc and the scenery was beautiful but 15 hours... OMG. And Thursday I have a 17 hour ferry ride! Geez! Things are big up here! Did you know that Alaska is 1/3 the size of the continental United States by itself? Tomorrow I will be bumming around Prince Rupert and then heading to Juneau Thursday. What a crazy day. Edith Piaf in Prince Rupert? I loved it!! Life experiences, here I come!!

ODO - 4263

No comments:

Post a Comment