Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 3: There are no guarantees

After consulting with the local doctor, local surgeon (see below flexing our biceps), my doctor in Atlanta and God I have decided to continue on my trip and have the surgery when I get home. Yes it is possible it may be too late by then but even if I had the surgery today (and was out of commission for 12 weeks) there is no guarantee it would hold. Once a tendon goes out, man cannot restore it to its original strength. I am not in any pain and my arm is already starting to compensate for the weakness. Worst case long term damage is about a 25% loss of strength in my arm and a little difficulty twisting things - I can live with that if worst case happens. C'est la vie. I took a 50 mile ride today and although a little timid when I started, I was in good steed when I got back. Another positive: I am being extra careful! I waved cars past me on a downhill 2 lane road as I was going 5 mph over the speed limit and I was not going to be rushed. So on to Utah tomorrow!
I met Sam and Kristie of Sturgis SD this morning (see below) and wow! Sam (a Bank President and HD biker!) gave me a ton of great pointers about how to deal with the Motorcycle Rally in August in Sturgis (where to stay, where to park, what to see, what to avoid, where to eat, where to drink, etc) and Kristie and I shared stories of places we've both been and places we hope to go one day. Terrific people and I look forward to seeing them in South Dakota in August. Finally these pictures do not do the Black Canyon National Park justice - an AMAZING chasm! If you are ever near Gunnison CO you need to stop by.
ODO: 1029 to 1078

No comments:

Post a Comment