Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 23 1/2 - Bison are wild animals

Yesterday I posted that that I saw some bears and didn't take pictures because I thought to stop when on a motorcycle was not a good idea. Makes sense. Except I kept thinking I wish I had a picture of the huge black bear I saw lumbering along the forrest. He was beautiful! So this morning I am riding along and I see this huge bison walking along the side of the road. Not wanting to miss another chance for a great picture I slow down, hold my glove in my mouth and get ready to take my cool picture. Just as I pull up next to him and get the camera ready to take my picture it happens - the beast starts CHARGING me!!! He breaks into a fierce gallop and is headed straight for my bike! I gun the bike to get the hell out of there but my bike dies! Crap! I turn off the ignition and restart it while making sure I don't lose any of my precious momentum and it starts on the second turn (thank you!!). But I try to gun it again but i can't get any speed - the bike is still in 6th gear! # % ^ * ! ! ! So I start down shifting and I realize by this point that the bisons horns are about to stab me or my bike. I brace for impact as I hit 2nd gear and look back to watch the disaster unfold.... But just as I gun the bike in second gear and finally take off I realize there is no sign of the bison. He is gone. He must have been frightened off at some point and fled. I take off finally but am freaking out. I am still freaking out. As I rode off I was paralyzed - I swear my mind was blank for 5 minutes as the shock of what almost happened sunk in. You should have seen the look on that bison's face as he was charging me!! I swear he looked 15 feet tall and 10 feet wide! 5 minutes later as I begin to calm down I realize my glove is still in my mouth. The whole thing scared the hell out of me! For the rest of the drive I was looking for wild animals everywhere and wanted to get the hell out of the woods as fast as I can. The bad news? I won't be out of the forest for 2 or 3 more days. No more slowing down for me!!

2 comments:

  1. Ho-Lee Crap! I guess bears aren't the only thing that s*** in the woods! Glad you're safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scared me to death. I thought I was a goner!

    ReplyDelete