Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 25 - On the road again

Fort St John is nice enough but I don't like cities on this trip. I got out of there and hit the road around 8 am. There was a lot of construction (incl. loose gravel) so it was slow going but I got in a little over 300 miles and made it to Prince George. That was good but not great. However, there is a Harley Davidson dealer in Prince George so I can get my bike serviced tomorrow. I have close to 6,000 miles on her now and the 5,000 mile servicing is due. Lord knows I don't want my bike going out in the heat of the moment - I've had enough of that in this trip.
I passed a tractor riding along very slowly along the shoulder of the road yesterday. While the car behind me was passing him 5 seconds after me, the tractor driver suddenly turned his steering wheel sharply to the left. The car jerked to the left trying to avoid the tractor but went across the street, into the field next to the road and then flipped and rolled several times until it came to a stop In the field. I watched all of this in my rear view mirror. He was just 5 seconds behind me. Had I been going a bit slower .... Scared me and reminded me not to take anything for granted! I am sure the tractor driver had no idea what he was doing - he was a farmer and is not used to traffic. I drove very carefully the rest of the day. Trust no one on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment