Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 30 - Glacier National Park the relaxed approach

My first morning in Montana and all I want to do is sleep in. I rise around 9 am, shower and head out with a cup of coffee in my hand. Odd but I've noticed how hostels always seem to make good strong coffee - must be the Europeans. I head out for the west entrance to Glacier NP and just as I feared there is a line of RVs and trucks pulling huge camping trailers waiting to get in. Its a zoo today. And so as I am waiting my turn to enter I realize I had better let go of my opinion of the traffic situation and just accept what is, or else I am going to be miserable all day. And so I do. If you've ever been to this park then I'm sure you've driven the "Going to the Sun" road - a two lane road that is both an engineering marvel and an amazing drive to experience. The traffic challenged my serenity several times including once when I considered turning around and skipping the whole mess but in the end I made it through and was so glad I did. Beautiful. I then drove to Many Glaciers Lodge for a beer on the deck and then dinner. I then rode down the road to a campground for another night in my tent. It's bizarre to even be saying this on July 29th but I am glad I brought my thermals as it is getting down close to freezing tonight. But hey, it's Montana, and there's nothing wrong with Montana!

No comments:

Post a Comment