Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Epilogue

And so this blog comes to an end. I have thoroughly enjoyed writing it and in some way it helped me stay connected with reality - I know this trip was almost too good to be true. Before I let you go though I want to tell and ask you a few things:

1 - This blog had a wider following than I had expected. Some days saw over 170 visitors with people from all over the world regularly checking in. If you are one of those people who I don't know, especially one of  the 30+ people from Russia who checked in almost every day, I would like to hear from you (a bit about yourself, how you found the blog, why you followed it so regularly, etc.). Anyone can email me at RalphCurt@gmail.com.

2. I would like to thank Harley Davidson. Sally has taken a part of my heart and I will never be the same again. She was with me through the whole trip, every day and night, and not once let me down. A friend pointed out that when that bison attacked me and Sally's engine died, it was probably the sound of the Harley starting up again that scared the bison away. I wonder, did Sally kill the engine because she knew the start-up would save me? I wonder...   :-)

3. I thought this trip was going to be about the places I'd see and the time I'd be alone. I was wrong. This trip was SO much about the people I met and the experiences we shared. From Laurie Lee who picked me up at the airport in Denver to Chris Robertson who bought me lunch when I got back, my list of people to thank is so long - Angie, Brian, Clif, Don, Mark, Emily, Rosa, Laurie, Shari, Roger, Dave, Rand, Kendra, Tom, Cathy, Mary, Sam, Kristie, Jim, Richard, Dewetta, Ed, Pumpkin,  Rob, Rick, Colleen, Carl, Jodi, Elisabeth, Ron, Brian, Tara, Dave, Vinnie, Louie, Fred, Hans,  Sun Star, Pat, Dave, 500,000 bikers, Dan, Chris, and Rosa's mother. 500,042 people and 1 chicken and I only knew 11 for them before I left. Wow!

4. A friend commented that by doing this blog I have, in fact, written a book. I liked that idea and I intend to make it happen. I am going to take this blog, add a few things I think might add another dimension to the story and print some books. If you would like a free copy, let me know via email and I will gladly send one to you - a gift I would love to send to you from me.  Now you Russians and others HAVE to email me if you want the book!!  Email me!!

The human spirit is AMAZING! I can get myopic about my life here in Atlanta at times but a trip like this shows me all that's out there ... And it is WONDERFUL!  God has blessed me so much, all I need to do is surrender and remember what PT said - everything I need is already in my heart and soul. I hope you get the chance to take a trip like this one day.

I looked at the dining room table and there were all of my things from the trip - gloves, sunglasses, bungee cords, helmet, ... all things that were very important and had great value to me yesterday but now no longer needed and need to go into storage. I drove my car last night and it felt so odd and wrong in a way, like I was cheating on Sally. Today I was hit with all my day to day burdens. Yes, It's going to be a tough transition back to reality but that is fine.  I am so happy and in love with life, I'll be good for a long time! I am also so glad I was able to share this trip with so many of you! Thank you for caring and paying attention!

And finally, I noticed the moon is hiding below the horizon these past couple of days - no doubt as tired as I am and Sally is as well. To the moon and to Sally I say this - I love you both! You have rocked my world!! I know my friend the moon will be back in due time. Sally, go take a well deserved rest, get your oil changed, engine tuned up and maybe a new front tire. But when the seasons change I hope you will be ready for me as I will be wanting you really badly and really soon. Will you be ready? What? What was that you said? Bring it? BRING IT? Hell yeah - I am ready right now!! Let's rock!!!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

― Hunter S. Thompson



No comments:

Post a Comment