Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 32 - Surprises and Big Timber

Being in Great Falls MT I had to see the great falls, right? So I did and lo and behold right next to the first one was the National Lewis and Clark Exposition and Interpretive Center. What a treat! Great Falls is considered the turning point of the trip - hardships overcome here would set the tone for the coming crossing of the Rockies. What a great surprise finding this place as it was a fantastic reliving that amazing journey. I am also always surprised at how some small towns have these unbelievably good restaurants. Today I visited two such places. First, in White Sulphur Springs MT (population 950) I stopped at The Corner Deli and it was a small piece of heaven. Organic, local, green with a hundred choices such as vegan, gluten-free, dairy free, etc. Best of all it was a complete surprise and it was delicious. Then tonight in Big Timber MT (population 1629) I had dinner with my friend Dave Noll (fellow Capricorn!) at the Grand Hotel that was as good a meal as I have had anywhere (I had the Rubbed Cowboy Montana Steak - in Montana - ha!! And yummmm!). The meal was great but of course catching up with Dave was so much fun. We sat at that table from 6 pm until closing time around 11 pm when we were kicked out at closing time. Have I told you how much I am loving this trip?? And I am now staying in a guest room Dave carved out in his barn. My favorite thing about this room is that he hired a local interior designer to help him and when they asked him for his preferred design direction he honest to God said "1890s whore house". And so that is where I am sleeping tonight, in a room in a barn on a farm in Montana that is reminiscent of an 1890s whore house. Did I tell you I am loving this trip?

ODO - 7458

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your blog and your adventures! We can't wait to see you in Sturgis. The biker traffic is really picking up here and you'll see more bikes as you travel to SD. We'll make more memories in Sturgis with you and about 500,000 of your closest friends!
    Sam and Kristie

    ReplyDelete