Monday, August 13, 2012

Day 45 - It's official: 10,683 miles

So it's over. I will put some thoughts about this trip in an Epilogue tomorrow but the traveling is over (for now). I am home safe and sound and after 10,683 miles on some of the most gorgeous road this planet has to offer, I am exhausted. And it's funny how things work out - when I first started thinking about this trip I pegged Tupelo MS as a good first stop but my plans changed and that didn't happen. Instead it ended up being a great last stop! I woke up in the kings home town of Tupelo and Sally and I went straight to the 2 room house where Elvis Presley was born. Then I entered it the worst weather of this trip came pouting down and lasted the whole day. And the sky always look so ominous! Lightening was striking and thunder rattling everything around me as it POURED on me all day long. I stopped under an overpass several times so it took forever to get anywhere. I also got the obligatory water wave splashes/dunks from passing cars and trucks again - big walls of water hurling my way. Yet after I made sure I was safe I just had to laugh! As I said earlier I love dancing in the rain and this waterfest felt close to that again (see Utah)! I tried to visit some friends and family in Birmingham but it didn't work out so I just pointed due east and headed straight home. It felt odd riding in Atlanta and then home. I enjoyed a few drinks, some good conversation and now tonight, for the first time in over 6 weeks, I will sleep in my bed. Ahhhh.... I hope I dream of my trip - it was so much more than I ever expected. But more on that tomorrow.

ODO - 10,683

No comments:

Post a Comment