Sunday, August 5, 2012

Day 37 - A moose, a wolf and Ralph Engelberger

I hiked the Tetons today - it felt so good to push my body to do some work in this clean and crisp mountain air. It was amazingly quite and peaceful with views you can't see anywhere else on the planet. On my way back down I stopped and washed my hands, face and then dunked my head into this small creek running down from the mountain peaks and it was the best feeling in the world! What is an especially good reminder for me about all of this is the fact that earlier that morning, amongst the big crowds in the valley, I was ready to leave. I was trying hard to "let go" but i was not doing very well. I snapped at this rude french woman (is that redundant?) and I just wanted to bail and head out. Fortunately I went to the local Visitors Center instead (I felt like my father) and this guy behind the counter proceeded to tell me about all these great rides, trails and magnificent view points. So I went out and did as he suggested and had a wonderful time! On the trail hiking up to the lake I saw a moose grazing in the bush 10 feet from me and he looked quite content - no need to charge me, Mr Moose. I also saw a small wolf but he was freaking out and more concerned about getting the hell away from the humans than anything else. When I returned to my bike I took this really nice and leisurely 75 mile ride around the park and then ended the day with a delicious pale ale from the local Snake River Brewery. I enjoyed myself so much I stayed and ate some lunch / dinner there and mingled a bit with some of the locals. This was obviously a local favorite hang-out as it seemed everyone knew each other and they were all celebrating a victory of some sort or another. Being on my motorcycle I thought it best to remove myself from the festivities before I got too caught up in them but I sure was tempted to stay! Instead I got back to my hotel around 6 pm, took a long hot shower and then did some postcards, laundry and planed out tomorrow's trip to Old Faithful. I know what you are thinking - Old Man! But that's cool - I am glad I did as last night's visit to the Cowboy Bar and this trip to the Brewery were enough for me. I am, after all, still 2500 miles from home. And let me tell you - a cold Coca-Cola after a long day in the sun beats a beer any day!

PS - I think this is the nicest Best Western I have ever been in - it could easily be a Hyatt or a Westin.

ODO - 7876

No comments:

Post a Comment